Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Out of steam right before the finish

I have been horribly lax at actually posting anything as I've been knitting my Autumn Rose, so now that I'm almost finished it I spouted a long, and picture-less blog-post instead. Most of which boils down to the simple fact that I've run out of yarn 6 rows to the finish line. I have more on order, but still...

However, I was surprised at how easy I found it to knit this sweater, and simply gob-smacked when the steek turned out to be a doddle! I can't believe I've let steeks frighten me so much for so long *sigh*. I can't wait to actually bind off the last stitch, sew in the last end, and block it; once that is done, my Autum Rose will have the distinction of being not only the first sweater I've ever steeked, but the first sweater I've ever finished. Yay for me!

2 comments:

Triona said...

I'm so glad to hear the steeks weren't so bad! Did you sew a line of reinforcing stitches before you cut or just let the wooliness take care of that?

And how terrible to run out of yarn so close to the end. I hope the yarn gets to you double-quick time!

Anonymous said...

Although the pattern doesn't call for a reinforced steek (assuming I understood it correctly), as it was my first steek I was too scared not to reinforce it.

I ended up doing a crocheted steek as described in Eunny Jang's Deep V Argyle Vest pattern, which was so easy and non-scary I still can't believing how much fun it was to do.

I know Eunny wrote a series of articles on her blog about steeking , and I assume the chapter posted on her blog about crocheted steeks is much the same as what she describes in her Argyle Vest pattern.